Monday, April 22, 2013
Orecchiette with Feta, Peas, and Pine Nuts
Switch things up from your usual pasta with this original recipe. I modified a recipe from Jerusalem Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghiand Sami Tamimi (Conghiglie with yogurt, peas and chili), to make this flavourful dish. The pine nuts give it a bit of a kick and the greens make it healthy and filling.
Whenever I see that I have all the ingredients for a recipe, I get super excited and want to make it right away. I made this last night to have something ready to take for lunch for a couple of days. It's always good to start out the week organized, with some meals prepped. Because I wanted to take it for lunch, I decided to omit the yogurt sauce the recipe called for, as I didn't like the idea of reheating that in the microwave. If you plan on eating it right away, feel free to add it.
- Orecchiette or pasta of choice
- basil leaves
- 1/4 package feta
- green peas
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tsp chili flakes and dash smoky paprika
- 1 T olive oil
- Optional: yogurt with a bit of olive oil and garlic
- cook pasta according to package instructions- don't be alarmed mine said 18 minutes!
- meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan, add chili flakes, paprika and pine nuts- cook for about 4 minutes, be careful not to burn
- combine pasta with basil leaves, feta, peas and then top with yogurt sauce if using, and pine nuts.
Quick and easy meal- Enjoy!