I got the inspiration for this recipe from one of the numerous vegetarian cookbooks we got out of the library. This cookbook is- The vegetarian's complete quinoa cookbook, edited by Marilyn Smith. Woke up a bit early one day, and was feeling inspired from Juliet's blueberry muffins and decided to make these. They were so quick to make, they were done before Juliet even woke up. Somehow banging pots and pans around, or even using a blender to make smoothies, does not wake her! I wish I were such a heavy sleeper! The recipe called for pure pumpkin, but I actually had real pumpkin that I had made a while back and frozen- do I win some Martha Stewart points or what?
Another ingredient you might not have on hand is quinoa flour, which can be bought at bulk barn or your local health food store.
Anyway here's the recipe:
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (woah!)
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree (canned or home made)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a muffin tin with wrappers
- In a medium bowl mix flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon
- In a large bowl mix pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, oil.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and add in chocolate chips. Use an ice cream scoop to spoon into muffin tin- works great
- Bake for 15/20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (closer to 20-25 for me)