I feel like muffins got a bad rep a few years ago, as all of a sudden people started saying that muffins were full of sugar and fat and were worse for you than donuts. I am prone to being influenced by these things and laid off muffins for quite some time. Although this may be true for store bought muffins (for example, say, triple chocolate muffins from Costco that are bigger than your face), home made muffins can be a lot healthier.
So, I am back on the muffin bandwagon. And, they are super convenient for snacks. With my dad recovering from his knee surgery, I have been trying to make some regularly to bring over. This recipe is based on the Banana Berry Boms muffin recipe from the Looney Spoons Collection cookbook. Bill got it for me for me and I have been wanting to try more of the recipes. A friend recommended some recipes from it, so I got it off my shelf and now I have a whole bunch of recipes flagged to try.
|I really like these leafy muffin wrappers ( thanks P) - perfect for fall! I believe they are from Michaels|
- 1 cup rolled oats ( I used large flake. quick-cooking is fine too)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed or wheat germ ( see healthy!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 mashed ripe bananas (the riper the better- bananas get sweeter as they get ripe! it also amkes them easier to mash. Mine weer a bit too hard.)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (or a bit less)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Line a muffin pan with liners, if using. I double line them. If you are using non stick or silicone, no need for liners.
- Combine oats, flours, sugar, flax, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix and set aside
- In another bowl, whisk mashed banana, butter and egg.
- Add banana mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed in. Fold in blueberries ( I accidentally mixed in the blueberries earlier with the bananas so my muffins are more blue)
- Divide into cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.