A while ago, I saw the Jamie Oliver cookbook- Everyday Superfood- over at Stu's. He always has a big pile of random stuff that he buys for gifts for people. Anyway, I saw it and was like, I want this! It was supposed to be a gift for someone else but I hijacked it. Then, it sat at my place pretty much untouched for a couple of months. I was starting to feel a bit bad. Maybe it should have gone to its intended recipient..nah!! I flipped through and saw so many great recipes that I can't wait to try. It has several recipes for different "Jam Jar" salads. I modified it a bit- replaced quinoa for barley, as I didn't have 1 hour to cook barley and quinoa takes only about 20 minutes.
Mason jar salads are super convenient as you can make a few and then have lunches ready to go! I made some back in the day- recipe here . Wow my photos used to be a lot prettier. I forgot to take layer photos this time around. To eat them, I find it's best to pour out of jar into a bowl so you can mix it all up. If you don't have a bowl at work, you can eat it out of the jar.
- cooked quinoa
- fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (and maybe a dash of paprika or spice? it lacked a bit of je ne sais quoi in my opinion. maybe some sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- lettuce or arugula
- olives (I omitted because I didn't have any)
- tomato (optional- I omitted because I don't find they keep well. cherry tomatoes work best for jars)
- cooked chicken (I omitted because I didn't have any)
- Italian parsley
- 1 oz feta cheese
- toasted sesame seeds (I forgot these!)
- 1 wedge lemon for squeezing over the salad
Layer in jars and enjoy!