I made this for breakfast this morning. Bright and early, before running! Fortunately (or unforrtunately) It is healthier then it looks. I got this recipe from chocolatecoveredkatie.com she has vegan recipes that are quite healthy. I adapted it slightly as I used milk and real cream cheese instead of dairy-free
For the oatmeal
- 1/2 cup oats (50g)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- sweetener, such as 1 1/2 T maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g) (You can sub pumpkin or mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- heaping 1/16th tsp salt
- Optional: handful of raisins, chopped walnuts, brown sugar for the top
For the "icing"
- 1/4 cup mori-nu silken-firm tofu (50g), or original tofu dessert (I ended up using both because the firm tofu alone tasted too strong for my taste)
- 3-4 T cream cheese (option of using vegan cream cheese)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 T milk (or soy milk)
- sweetener to taste (such as sugar, agave, etc.)
- optional: feel free to blend in 1/4 cup berries
Next time I make this dish, I will put more cream cheese and less tofu or use tofu desert instead of firm tofu. A teaspoon of icing sugar might be good too.
On its own the icing definitely tasted too much like tofu. However, on top of the oatmeal it tasted pretty good!