For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup blanches hazelnuts
- 1 cup blanched almonds ( I used almond meal/ flour to save a step here)
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used 2)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner sugar
- egg whites from 4 eggs (or 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the filling
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup praline paste or hazelnut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons crushed hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grind the nuts in a food processor
- Sift in cocoa and icing sugar into the ground hazelnuts and almonds
- Heat egg whites in a double broiler or in a bowl on top of boiling water with sugar, until sugar is dissolved
- remove from heat, beat egg white mixture until stiff, about 6 minutes with a hand mixer or stand up mixer
- Fold the egg-white mixture into the dry ingredients.
-Transfer into a pastry bag and pipe onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mounds should be about 2 inches. Let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before baking
- Bake 12-14 minutes, or until you are able to put a spatula underneath easily. If it is sticking, it means it is not ready yet.
- Cool on a rack
Meanwhile, make the filling. Melt chocolate, cream, hazelnut butter and salt in a double broiler. Let cool for 15 minutes and then add in chopped hazelnuts.
Spread filling with a knife or spoon in between 2 meringue cookies- repeat for all
PS. I ate the richest scrambled eggs with the leftover egg yolks.. I think 1 egg and 3 egg yolks. Talk about protein!!